These energy balls are a perfect between-meals snack, especially for those on a higher-intensity training programme. The nuts provide plenty of micronutrients including B vitamins and antioxidant vitamin E and selenium. Cocoa powder is a good source of magnesium, which helps muscle relaxation.
Per ball: 258 calories
- 250g Medjool dates, pitted
- 80g blanched hazelnuts
- 100g ground almonds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the dates and hazelnuts in a bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain the dates and hazelnuts, and place in a food processor with the almonds, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Blitz to a thick paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a chopping board, divide into eight pieces and roll into balls.
- Dust the energy balls with a little cocoa powder then place in the fridge to firm them up.
- Try making in larger batches and store in an airtight container.